Get Your LiLash!

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Adsense Monetizing Options

I started my website, Me My Kid and Life, in October of 2007. The goal was to encourage and empower other single moms to live the life they want while creating an additional stream of income for my family.

I'm not sure I've achieved either of those goals to my satisfaction. Although my site is the life and times of a single mom I do not gear the majority of my articles specifically for the single mom. Rather my articles are about making money online, travel, family, or other things that interest me such as film. Perhaps it is safe to say that the life of a single mom isn't about being a single mom it's about living life... just like anyone else's life. So, it is life that my website has been about.

I have received many emails from single moms (and dads) who have appreciated what the site has to offer. Perhaps that means that I'm going about the site in the right way. I want people to follow their dreams - not just single moms but all people. The more people who are living a life which they are inspired to live the happier our world will be and the less strife our world will encounter.

The second goal of MeMyKidAndLife was to create an additional (or an alternative) source of income. At the time, I had an online business which (while it afforded me a decent living) ate up an awful lot of my time. I was looking for balance between earning an income and spending time with my family/having free time.

I started the website about a year-and-a-half ago. Honestly, the website is not making much more than it was a year ago... and I'm feeling a little frustrated, agitated and concerned... but mostly, I just want to figure out if I'm doing something wrong and how I can fix it and get back on the right track.

There are a couple things I might be doing wrong...

First, my website is hosted by Yahoo. Is possible that Google might not like a website being hosted by the competition? Could that hurt me with Google Adsense? If anyone knows anything about this please comment and let me know. Adsense does not allow for competitors ads to be on the same pages as the Adsense ads, but would that extend to a site which is hosted by Yahoo? Would Adsense penalize a website that was hosted by Yahoo?

Second, I had a Yahoo RSS Feed button on all of the pages on my website. I have taken the button off about half of the website's pages and will finish taking them down as time allows. (It is quite a timely process as I have so many webpages and each webpage must have the Yahoo Feed Button manually removed.) Again, the concern is that Google's Adsense might penalize the website for promoting the competition.

Third, I visited a search engine optimization site in hopes of learning how to improve my pages and therefore traffic. I followed the instructions but feel that instead of improving some of my pages by focusing on keywords I have word stuffed which would trigger Adsense to penalize my pages, hence my site resulting in less Adsense traffic.

All that being said, I'm not sure any of the above are relevent. But in effect, this is in part why you now find me with so many new blogs sprouting up. It is a test. My blog is part of my Yahoo hosted site. Does that affect the hits it gets or how it is listed in Google? To try to see if my site is negatively impacted by the 'Yahoo' factor, I have started to use this blog - a blogspot owned by Google. In time, I suppose if all other things are equal I will notice an increase in traffic and or Adsense revenue on the blogspot blog if the Yahoo hosted website is actually penalized by Adsense for its competitive nature.

Therefore, if you are wondering why my website is sprouting so many new branches, the answer lies, in part, in the above paragraphs.

Many people say that it is necessary to have different blogs or websites for different topics if you want to build traffic. I have only had one website for all of my topics. Although, I have broken down the different sections and placed like articles together. Many people say that I am doing the exact opposite of what should be done if you want to make money online. I'm not sure I agree. Although, I'm not sure I don't agree.

From my understanding Adsense delivers ads based on the content of a particular website, not based on the overall content of the website. Google search is based on the content of a webpage, not the content of an entire site. Based on that logic, it wouldn't matter what the entire site consisted of. Rather, it would matter what a particular page's content consisted of.

This article is probably a perfect example of what I tend to do wrong when I write articles. Basically, this article covers too many topics. Therefore it might be more difficult for Google Search to place it high in its ranking. This would not work to my favor. Quite likely, this is the main problem with my website. It might not be that my total content is too varied, rather that the content within specific pages is too varied. That would mean that I need to become more disciplined and write in a more focused manner.

I have recently started several new blogs which are focused on particular topics which interest me. I do not full-heartedly believe in this method, nor do I feel it is necessarily necessary. Nonetheless, it is time for me to experiement. Therefore, if you see my work spread out all over the place it is intentional to see if it helps with traffic and Adsense revenue.

The problem I'm having with both the website's traffic and revenue might simply be that I'm not adding enough content and I'm not adding enough focused content that Google is interested in picking up. Although... I don't think that's it. I used to have a page rank of 4 and now it is 0. Truly, I think there is a problem I need to fix... but what is it? As far as adding new content, I do it when I can. I have been quite busy with other things that make me very happy.

Life is about balance.

4 comments:

Jan Heering said...

Hi Christine,

About adsense income stream: from my experience can adsense give a nice income stream. However you will not get rich from it.

Try to blend in the adsense ads in the body of the text, above the fold. Like I've done at: myamsterdamguide.com


About adding content: it's a good idea to focus on keywords (and content) people are searching for. And try to avoid keywords with lot's of competition.

I hope this does help.

Cheer,
Jan

Me said...

I like how you've placed the small box to the left of the pic above the fold. It is pleasing to the eye. Also, there isn't much on your main page above the fold besides pics and adsense ads. Nice choice for increasing the likelihood of having your ad clicked on.

Great keyword hints, as well! I am not always the most diligent at focusing on keywords and I'm sure it probably affects my traffic and therefore my overall revenue from Adsense.

I just found a new little site you might enjoy, cubestat.com. Just enter in your website information and it will give you an awful lot of statistics about your website, including the site's guess on how much your site makes with adsense monetization. The overall averages for my website are fairly accurate.

Thanks for the suggests. Always great to hear good advice!

Jan Heering said...

Hi Christine,

I didn't know cubestat.com, thanks.
However, esitmate pageviews are 20% off and adensense revenue even more.

I do use seoquake to get site info (plug in for firefox)

Cheers,
Jan

Me said...

Sure, my pleasure Jan! While the numbers only give a rough idea for my site as well, it can be very difficult to find any tangible Adsense revenue numbers at all and therefore CubeStat has the ability to act as an empowering ad revenue tool. But you are absolutely right, the numbers are just estimates and should not be treated as exact.

All the best,

Christine